Sunday, August 30, 2015

Adjustments

If you've been a runner for any length of time, I'm sure you've encountered a period when something has really thrown you off your game plan and made you really contemplate how you're going to get through it. Whether it be an injury, a scheduling conflict or any number of other life events, I feel it's when we sit down and are forced to develop a new plan that we learn what we're truly capable of.

I'm going through this experience right now. I'm having discomfort in my lower right leg, which at times in recent weeks has reduced me to stop running completely for almost a week at a time—which for me is a long time. This is while I'm trying to prepare for a 25K trail race—one that's only a few weeks away! And a race that I wanted to do but couldn't for one reason or another for four years straight!

The discomfort in my leg was only there sporadically but became constant after a recent training run. In part that run was to test my leg and see how I do, both physically and mentally, with running when my body is not 100%. I found out that I can push through it. I found out more than that though. I found out that I would pay the price for pushing though. Running wasn't an option anymore when just walking for extended periods worsened the discomfort. I waited to resume a return to running until I had one complete day of my leg feeling fine. But even after one very short run that was slow, my leg felt horrible the next day. This told me that I was trying to come back to soon. I had to listen to the feedback that my body was giving me. I felt that trying to run through this discomfort would do nothing but cause injury, and leave me worse off in the long-term.

There is an option to hike this 25K race, so getting back to running wasn't completely necessary for this event, but deep down I wanted to run as much as I possibly could. Since running just seemed to exacerbate the discomfort in my leg, I knew that hiking was where my focus had to turn. As long as I could get back to the point where constant walking, in this case hiking, then I would be fine to complete this event that I was so looking forward to doing.

My new (short-term) goal was to get my body back to the point where I could cover the distance without doing any running. My long-term goal of course was slowly return to running and build up my distance. I was fairly certain I could pull this off because I actually did it once before to get through a marathon. Dealing with the same issue, I used a run/walk method to get through 26.2 miles. I ran for 5 minutes and then walked for 5 minutes. That wasn't how I wanted to complete that marathon years ago but it was better than not doing it all.

During that process of adjusting my training for that marathon, I learned how to better listen what my body is telling me. Dealing with discomfort or pain isn't the same as going out for a run when you're feeling tired or have a nagging ache. It can mean not running at all. I had to learn to have more patience even if it meant not running when I think I can, in order to let my body heal. This is a hard lesson to learn but one that is necessary for long-term success.

Speaking of that, I also learned that sacrificing the short-term is sometimes necessary to achieve the long-term plans. If you have many races on your calendar or several goals that you're working toward, it might be necessary to give up one of upcoming races or goals in order to do your best and be healthy for the bigger race or goal somewhere out in the distance that you really want to achieve. Just because you disregard a short-term goal doesn't mean there isn't addition by subtraction!

Finally, I learned that my mental strength grew as a result of my diminished physical strength. In the end, I completed that marathon in a respectable time and could use everything I learned should I encounter similar situations again. Here it is three years later and I'm having the same issue again only now I have previous experience and knowledge to draw upon and use to get through this upcoming event. The mind is a powerful tool to use in running, you just have to use it for good and not evil (in lack of better terms.) During that training run that led to this discomfort, I had a set distance I really wanted to get in as preparation for this 25K race. While I did cut that training run short, I should have cut it a lot shorter than what I really did. My leg was bothering me during the run but I thought I could get through it. I was wrong. While it's a hard lesson to learn, being wrong isn't always bad. I learned to be more patience and listen to what my body is telling me as a result of this issue I'm having.

With just shy of two weeks before this event, I am now able to run short distances again, as a result of taking more rest than I think I need. It's listening to that feedback though that taught me I really do need that extended rest. I also know that I have to dial back the intensity at which I do my training runs too—again it's about making a conscious effort to remember what you want to achieve in the long-term. I have to reset my goals upon examination of just how I feel both during and after each run. In all honesty I think I'm better off still hiking and just work in small amounts of running should my body allow it during this event.

I'm looking forward to finally competing in this trail event in 13 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment