Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Math equations for running?

Math equations for running?—I guess for those who dislike math perhaps they stopped reading right there. If you are still reading, then consider it your gain. Don't worry, there aren't any really complex formulas to memorize or even any numbers involved. These "equations" are just observations that I've found to be true and that I try to apply when adjusting my running goals.

In 2012, I had two marathons circled on my race calendar. Neither went as I planned, the second of which you can read about here.

One thing I learned through running in general (and training for those two marathons) was if you really want to complete an event you once thought was unreachable for you, you will have to push past your comfort level, especially for endurance events like a marathon, ultramarathon or even something like a century bike ride.

In training for these type of events, you will be out there on the roads or trails many days during the week and face all sorts of adversity. It could be aches and pains, tiredness or bad weather. At some point your body won't want to cooperate and might even ask "Can't we do this run another day or just scrap this run altogether?"

While the easy answer to those questions is yes, I believe you'll achieve more if you're able to meet these adversities head on.

Thus, my first "math" equation:

heart + soul ≥ body + mind

I've found that if you really have that desire to achieve a once unthinkable goal, then use what you feel deep down (anticipation, excitement, drive) to conquer what you feel on the outside (aches, soreness, tiredness.) Remind yourself that you've come this far and use that to focus on the rest of your training that lies ahead. Remember that race day for your event might not have the ideal conditions you wish for and that the adversity that you faced in training can now help since you'll have already have experience in dealing with it. Don't underestimate this advantage.

One outcome of the training for the second marathon that stayed with me for awhile was tiredness. Since I've now shifted the focus of my running to shorter distances, I don't need to get in the mileage I once did.  

This is where my second "math" equation comes into play:

decrease in quantity of running = increase in quality of running
Because of less time spent running (expending less energy) and an increased effort to get more rest (gaining more energy), the fewer runs that I do get in have felt more productive. I pushed through some of those sluggish marathon training runs because I knew it would help for when I felt tired during race day. With the change of goals now, it's no longer productive to run while I'm tired.

Sure, my weekly mileage is noticeably smaller. I definitely feel more energized though on those days I am out there.

Finally, the biggest "math" equation for running:

common sense > everything else

Know that common sense should triumph the other rules of running. Don't run if you're risking injury or shortchanging other important areas of your life. Adjust things as you need and do the best you can!

1 comment:

  1. I hate math, but I loved those. What a cool way to think of it.

    5

    ReplyDelete