Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Resources for more information on running (part 1)

This week I'm providing you with a listing of resources for you to find additional information on running. Most all of us are always looking to find some great nugget of info that inspires us, shows us how to tame an aching muscle or find that one piece of running gear that makes our run more enjoyable. While I know I can't provide all of those for you, below are some resources that I've found to be helpful and why.

This post focuses just on magazines and books. In a future part 2 post, I will turn to online resources: websites, podcasts, etc.—so look for that coming soon too.

Magazines

Runner's World

•articles focused on training, training plans, cross-training, nutrition, shoe and clothing reviews, race calendar, profiles and in-depth stories of runners.

I've subscribed to Runner's World for several years and almost always read it cover to cover. I think it's very friendly towards beginning runners in their verbiage and training plans, but also gives info for more veteran runners as well. There are many feature articles telling stories of inspirational runners and the difficulties they've faced. One of my favorite sections is "Human Race." It's a shorter section focusing on ordinary runners doing extraordinary things—very inspirational!

Running Times

•articles usually focused more on various aspects of training—training plans, cross-training, stretching, injury prevention, nutrition/hydration

I've never subscribed to Running Times but I would recommend it for someone looking to take their running to next level, whether it be farther or faster.

Trail Runner

•articles specifically focused on trail running—training, cross-training, nutrition, shoe and clothing/gear reviews, race recaps, in-depth stories on ultrarunners and ultrarunning events.

I've subscribed to Trail Runner in the past and really enjoyed it. The photography alone makes me want to hit the trail. This magazine is very helpful with tips for transitioning from the roads to the trails and what you need to focus on when running trails—change in your pace, proper footwear, etc. It does tend to focus on distance running too but many of the same principles can be applied to shorter distance trail races.

Books

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Half-Marathon Training: Get Ready to Run or Walk a 5K, 8K, 10K or Half-Marathon Race by Heather Hedrick

I think this was the first book I ever bought on the topic of running. I got it when I just was a beginning runner and was very helpful since that is the target audience of this book. It brought to my attention aspects I didn't think of before, like stretching and hydration. Great for the beginner!

Marathon: You Can Do It! by Jeff Galloway

I used this book to study training plans while preparing for my first marathon. Some of the information is geared towards beginners so some of plans are more conservative. Better probably if you're not worried about time and just want to finish. Absolutely nothing wrong with that by the way!

Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide: Advice, Plans, and Programs for Half and Full Marathons by Hal Higdon

I used this book as well before my first marathon. I liked it better with the various training plans based on what time goal you're striving for. Covers all the various aspects of marathon running.

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

This book is a great look at the world of barefoot running, where it came from, why it's done, and should it be done. It's a great look at the Tarahumara Indian tribe in Mexico and what influence they had on barefoot running.

Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes

I read this book and really liked it. Not everyone will say the same thing. I know there's some out there with different opinions on the author. The feats he's accomplished almost do seem superhuman. 99.9% of all runners will never even attempt the feats he's completed. If you find inspiration in ridiculous accomplishments, I encourage you read this book. If you're one to look at ridiculous accomplishments as just stupid or insane, I wouldn't bother.

The Long Run: A New York City Firefighter's Triumphant Comeback from Crash Victim to Elite Athlete by Matt Long

I haven't read this book yet. What does make me want to read was the article in Runner's World a few years ago that was a much shorter version of the book. This man literally was run over by a bus and faced many surgeries just to get back to having a normal life. He worked beyond that to get back to running a marathon like he did before his unfortunate accident. Very inspirational!

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Scott Jurek

This is another book I haven't read yet but really want to. As someone who likes distant running and has an interest in nutrition, this appeals to me in several aspects. The book has gotten great reviews and was written by one of today's premier ultrarunners, Scott Jurek.

1 comment:

  1. Those are great...it's nice that you're so dedicated to running! I do hope some of the resources address what to do in case of injury--like how you know if you should lay off for a few days, etc.

    5

    ReplyDelete